Back to Top
- Send change of address to: Post Office, Charge Accounts, and Credit Card Accounts, Friends & Relatives, and Subscriptions. Remember that your notice requires several weeks for magazines.
- Notify your bank. Transfer funds, arrange check cashing in new city.
- Insurance: Notify new location for insurance coverage (life, health, fire, auto, homeowner's.)
- Automobile: Transfer car title, car registration, car tags, driver's license, state windshield sticker, and motor club membership.
- Utilities: Gas, light, cable TV, water, telephone get refund of any deposits made. Arrange for immediate service in new town. Arrange final reading and change of name for billing.
- Delivery People: Cancel laundry, newspaper and milk.
- School: Ask for copies or transfer of children's records. Ask For:Medical records of family and pets.
- Drug and Eye Contact or Glasses Prescriptions to be transferred. Doctor and Pharmacist recommendations.
- Letters of Introduction to transfer memberships.
- Pet requirements in new city.
- Empty freezer; plan use of foods. Defrost freezer-refrigerator. (Place charcoal to dispel odors.)
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs or clothing, before moving; have them "moving-wrapped."
- Check with your moving counselor: insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special care needs of infants.
- Plan garage sale.
- On your moving day: Carry currency, jewelry, documents yourself; or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting pets. (They are poor traveling companions if unhappy.) Make sure you can be found if they become lost.
- Carry traveler's checks for quick available funds. Tell close friends or relatives your route and schedule (including overnight stops). Use them as "message headquarters."
- Double check closets, drawers, and shelves (to be sure they are empty).
- Arrange to leave keys with new tenant, owner or agent.