WIRE FRAUD WARNING
Why Home Smart Cherry Creek, LLC/ INC. Won’t Be the Source for Your Wire Instructions
1. Criminals/hackers are trying to fake you into wiring money to them.
2. Criminals hack your email accounts and accounts of title agents, mortgage brokers, real estate agents, lawyers (and others) and send you emails that look like legitimate emails from the proper party, but instruct you to wire money to the accounts of the criminals.
3. Do not rely on emailed wiring instructions. We strongly recommend only relying on wiring instructions that come from a more secure source such as in-person communications, a phone call that you initiated, or through secure mail or package services.
4. Before you wire any funds to any party, personally call the intended recipient to confirm the accuracy of the ABA routing number, SWIFT code or credit account number.
5. When you call the source of wiring instructions in steps 3 & 4, you should call a number that you know is the correct number. You should not get that phone number from a source that can be easily forged (such as the phone number in an email or a phone number from a website).
6. MY BROKERAGE FIRM WILL NEVER BE THE SOURCE OF PROVIDING YOU WIRING INSTRUCTIONS TO SEND MONEY TO OTHER COMPANIES. If you receive an email providing wiring instruction that purport to come from us, it is a fraudulent email.
7. We strongly recommend that you, your lawyers and others working on a transaction, should refrain from placing any sensitive personal and financial information in an email or an email attachment.
8. When you need to share Social Security numbers, bank accounts, credit card numbers, wiring instructions or similar sensitive information, we strongly recommend using more secure means, such as providing the information in person, over the phone, or through secure mail or package services, whenever possible.