Back to Top
Real Estate Tips
Top tips for buying a home in Chicago’s northwest suburbs and surrounding areas
- Put a pencil to your finances. Get a recent credit report, establish your budget and figure out how much cash you’ll need. Get pre-approved for a loan so you know where you stand.
- Think about the type of home you want/need. Condo, townhome, single-family? Master bedroom upstairs or down? What about the location, amenities, age, and condition? Take some time to jot down a description of your ideal home.
- Start early & visit the areas you are interested in. When you find a little free time, get out and drive the neighborhoods you are considering. Make note of the addresses of homes you like, even if they are not for sale, you can look them up later on Google maps. Are you drawn to the interior of a neighborhood, a cul-de-sac, corner lot?
- Learn about the local market and buying conditions. Knowledge is power! I have access to local market reports, sales activity and more. Analyzing this data and information is a crucial step toward making a wise purchase decision.
- Get educated on the offer and closing process! Even if you are a seasoned homeowner, buying a home is not something you do every day. Make sure you are schooled on the latest contract requirements and what you need to do for your particular life situation. Trust me, you’ll be so glad you did!
- Don’t go it alone! My job includes helping you with all of these items and more. I know all about Chicagoland, including Cook, DuPage, McHenry and Lake counties. I spend time in homes here every day, am skilled in negotiation and always look out for your best interests. Having a trusted and skilled professional by your side when buying makes all the difference. Reach out so I can fill you in more about my attentive buyer representation services.
Top tips for selling a home in Chicago’s northwest suburbs and surrounding areas
- Know your market conditions. Take time to learn if it’s a buyer’s or seller’s market, what homes like yours are selling for, and how long they take to sell.
- Determine your asking price. Pricing your home right takes expertise and information. Price can be influenced by the inventory of other available homes, the condition of your home, competition, and other factors. I offer a smart pricing strategy and Selling Net Sheet so you are well-informed about the net proceeds you can expect when you sell.
- Prepare your home for the market. Take care of ‘honey dos’ and possibly some larger projects. Stage your home by cleaning up, arranging furniture and accentuating its best features.
- Ensure awesome marketing. Reaching the masses is important when it’s time to list, and you’ll want to reach them within the first two weeks on the market. A professional and aggressive marketing plan yields the best results.
- Don’t go it alone! These tips just skim the major highlights when selling. There is a multitude of vital steps that come along with the selling your home for the best terms in the shortest amount of time. You can trust in me to cover all the bases when it comes to assisting you with pricing, preparing and marketing your home to sell fast in Chicagoland, including Cook, DuPage, McHenry and Lake counties. Let’s talk soon.